Tuesday 29 October 2013

Herrera: I tried to con the referee

Herrera: I tried to con the referee
The 24-year-old Spain international confessed that he tried to cheat the referee by taking a tumble in the area and is glad he did not win a penalty
Athletic Bilbao midfielder Ander Herrera has apologised for diving during Monday's Liga win over Getafe.

The Spain international, linked with Manchester United during the summer, took a tumble in the area during the closing stages of the game at the Coliseum Alfonso Perez to no avail.

The 24-year-old was keen to set the record straight afterwards, openly admitting that he had not been touched and claiming that he was pleased the officials had not given a spot kick in Athletic's favour.

"Sometimes we complain about the referees, but today I must apologise because I tried to con him," Herrera told reporters after the game.

"I am happy that he did not award a penalty, as I would have left a liar and I do not want to be one. I was wrong.

"I thought we could secure the game then, but above everything else there must be sportsmanship."

Athletic triumphed 1-0 in Madrid on Monday thanks to an early goal from Aymeric Laporte.

No comments:

Post a Comment