Tuesday 3 December 2013

Tello gives Barca ultimatum: Play me or I'll leave

Tello gives Barca ultimatum: Play me or I'll leave
The Catalans forward is fed up with playing a bit-part role, though fellow Camp Nou back-up Martin Montoya is keen to open talks over a new deal

Cristian Tello has revealed he intends to leave Barcelona at the end of the season if he does not start to play more minutes this season.

The 22-year-old has started just two Liga games this season out of a possible 15 and he is starting to become frustrated with being restricted to a bit-part role at Camp Nou, with regular first-team football his goal.

"I will see how this season goes but if from now until the end of the season I don't play as much as I would like, then I will consider leaving," Tello told gathered reporters at a promotional event on Monday.

"Taking that step will be very difficult but I think everyone has to evaluate their role. As the years go by, you want your role to change and you want to play more often."

Tello, who has a contract until 2018 with the Catalans, has been out with a minor ankle injury for Barca's last two Liga games and says that coach Gerardo Martino has guaranteed that Barca's second string will get playing time this season.

"Right now I'm not thinking about any team other than Barca," he added, dismissing any fears that he is plotting his departure from the Blaugrana already.

"Martino spoke to me at the start of the season and told me to be patient, insisting the academy players would all get our chance."

Martin Montoya, who has started seven games for Barca this season, was a lot more reluctant to suggest he may jump ship and hopes that he can secure a contract extension beyond its expiry in June 2014.

"I've been playing for Barcelona for the last 14 years," the 22-year-old said. "Even though I've still got a few months left on my deal, I hope I'll be able to stay for many more years to come.

"My agents are negotiating with the club, I'm not involved in that, but I'm young and the main thing I want is to keep on playing."

No comments:

Post a Comment