Tuesday 4 March 2014

Injury-plagued Janssen calls time on career

 Injury-plagued Janssen calls time on career
The midfielder, who made five appearances for the Oranje, has been unable to recover from a ligament injury and will become a Vitesse scout

Netherlands international Theo Janssen has announced his retirement from professional football due to persistent knee problems.

The midfielder, who picked up five caps for the Oranje since his debut in 2006, has been unable to recover full fitness since picking up a knee ligament injury earlier in 2013-14 against Feyenoord.

Having failed to shake off the issue, the Vitesse star has called time on his playing career and taken up a scouting role with the Eredivisie club with immediate effect.

"I fought for my last chance," Janssen, 32, told the club's official website. "After the ligament injury I definitely wanted to come back and play some games but, because of a new injury, I could not.

"Because of this I started thinking about my future. I quickly came to the conclusion that it is no longer on the football field. My heart is with football and Vitesse. Those two things I can combine nicely in this new role.

"I think I have nice eye for talent. It seems to be a challenge for Vitesse to discover talented players to bring to the academy and to strengthen the first team."

Janssen began his career at Vitesse, spending 10 years in the senior set-up before leaving for Twente in 2008.

He won the Eredivisie with the club before spending a season with Ajax - where he once again lifted the Dutch top tier title - before returning to Vitesse in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment