Wednesday 1 July 2015

Cech hits back at Chelsea death-threat ‘fans’ and thanks Abramovich

 Cech hits back at Chelsea death-threat ‘fans’ and thanks Abramovich
The veteran goalkeeper says true supporters will appreciate his 11 years of service to the Blues
Petr Cech says Chelsea supporters who sent him hate mail and death threats after his switch to Arsenal are not “true fans”.


The Czech international, who completed his move to the Emirates Stadium on Monday, was branded a ‘snake’ and ‘traitor’ on social media, with some fans even threatening his life.

But Cech has dismissed those supporters who have slammed his move across London and believes his Chelsea legacy speaks for itself.

“The true fans have sent me messages that are pleasing and positive. True fans will appreciate what I've done and the legacy I've left,” the goalkeeper told reporters.

“There are some people who have left me negative messages, but they aren't true Chelsea fans.”

He continued: “It's tough for me and some fans but it's the right decision. The last few days have been overwhelming, the reaction from new team-mates and ex-team-mates is unbelievable.

“Last season was difficult. It was a new situation. Match days were difficult, but it's part of the job of being a second-choice keeper.

“I want to win the title, I wouldn't be sincere if I didn't admit that.

“Only time will tell if I miss something, and I can't forget those 11 years. I look forward to opening a new chapter. It's a new start, a new motivation.”

Cech was demoted to No.2 goalkeeper by Jose Mourinho last season but insists he still has a good relationship with the Chelsea boss, while he also thanked Roman Abramovich for overruling the manager and allowing him to join Arsenal.

“Jose is one of the best managers in the world, our relationship hasn't changed although he went with Thibaut Courtois last season,” the Czech continued.

“But we respect each other. He made his decision and I made mine. We had a good chat - I know he wanted me to stay but that's the way it goes.

“I realised last season how much I love being a big part of a team week in week out. This is not the time for me to be sitting on the bench. It's a purely footballing reason.

“Roman had the very last word in the end. And I thank him for that. This was the hardest decision I had to make. Last season was a big factor, the manager made his decision - but this time it was my time to make a decision."

No comments:

Post a Comment